Vietnamese Caramelized Pork and Eggs is a traditional dish of Vietnamese people, often appearing in Vietnamese meals. Braised pork has brought a lot of fame to Vietnamese people, even a dish that has conquered all the judges of the American MasterChef. A delicious, rich, greasy dish that is great to be eaten with white rice. Let’s cook this delicious dish together in the kitchen!
Ingredients for braised meat for 6 people
– Bacon or pork leg meat: 500 gr
– Boiled duck eggs: 5 eggs
– Coconut water: 400 ml
– Minced onion: 1 tablespoon
– Minced garlic: 1 tablespoon
– Fish sauce: 6 tablespoons
– Sugar: 4 tablespoons (to season the meat)
– Sugar: 1 teaspoon (to make colored water)
– Seasoning: 1 tablespoon
– Pepper: 1 teaspoon
How to choose to buy fresh ingredients
How to choose to buy fresh pork
– You should first choose the pieces that are pink, do not choose the pieces of meat that are pale, pale because the meat can be kept for a long time, easily rancid and have a strong smell.
– Fresh meat usually has elasticity, so if you feel the elasticity back, you should use your hand to gently press it, but if you find it soft, pasty, and have mucus, you should not buy it.
You should buy meat early in the morning, to choose the freshest pieces of meat for yourself.
How to choose to buy fresh eggs
– Good eggs usually have a ruddy appearance, have a layer of powdery white dust around, and hold firmly in the hand. Do not choose duck eggs with dull colors or faint odors.
– Examination of eggs shows that the egg is pink and transparent, with a pink dot in the middle, the air sac is no more than 1 cm in diameter, and the surrounding line is fixed and not mobile, then it is a fresh egg. In contrast, eggs left for a long time when examined often have red marks with many ridges, air sacs wider than 1.5 cm. Damaged eggs also show uneven color, opaque gray color.
– Dropping duck eggs into a 10% brine solution is also a good way to test eggs. When the eggs have been left for 3-5 days, when dropped into the egg solution, they sink to the bottom. If the eggs float on top of the solution, the eggs are more than 5 days old and you should not use them anymore.
– Hold the egg in the palm of your hand and shake it gently. New eggs when you shake will not make a sound, the longer the eggs are shaken, they will sound like there is water inside.
How to cook Vietnamese Caramelized Pork and Eggs
1. Marinate meat
Put 500g of bacon or pork leg meat in a bowl, so choose meat with thin skin to keep it delicious, softer and not greasy.
In turn, add 1 tbsp minced onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 3 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/3 tbsp seasoning and 1 tsp pepper, mix well.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 1 hour for the meat to absorb the spices.
2. Make sugar water
Put the pot on the stove, adjust the power to 700W. Pour 1 teaspoon of sugar into the pot, stir with chopsticks until the sugar water turns brown, then turn off the heat.
Wait for the sugar to cool, the color will be darker, pour 1 more tablespoon of water to dilute it.
3. Cook meat (Caramelize Pork and Eggs)
Turn on the stove and choose the 1500W hot pot cooking mode, put the marinated meat in the pot, stir-fry until the meat is hunted, then pour 400ml of coconut water.
Cover the pot and then turn the stove power down to 700W to stew meat for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, if the water is too dry, add more water, scoop 5 boiled duck eggs into the pot, cover and stew for another 30 minutes, then turn off the heat.
4. Finished Product
The delicious egg stew is complete and can be served hot. The dish is soft, delicious, rich, fatty pork belly combined with extremely delicious duck eggs to bring rice!